The lovely Dora over at Berries & Books posted her response to this tag back in January; Dora did an open tag for this post & as I liked the questions I thought I’d give it a go! Dora is part of the Street Team for Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody, & this tag was created by her & colleagues Min & Katie. You can read Dora’s answers here.
1. Ace of Shades takes place in the very mysterious, very dangerous City of Sin. Name a fictional city with a personality of it’s own!
The Moonlit Lands aren’t really a city, but they are the place where my favourite book is set (Shadows on the Moon by Zoë Marriott) & it’s a setting that I absolutely adore. The Moonlit Lands is a fictional setting based loosely on East Asian countries such as Japan; but The Moonlit Lands are full of magic & everywhere is better with magic.
2. The City of Sin is home to three ruthless gangs: the Irons, the Scarhands & the Doves. Tell us about your favourite fictional criminal family/gang!
Again, this answer is breaking the rules slightly, but the first character that popped into my head for this question is Billy Flint from the S.C.R.E.A.M series by Andrew Beasley; Billy comes from a family of some pretty badass criminals, but Billy fights crime instead of committing it & he’s pretty funny too.
3. Enne & Levi are about to be thrown into a deadly game… Name your favourite book in which characters must play with, and for, their lives.
Isn’t the answer obvious? Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire definitely fits into this. Harry is forced to put his life at risk, again, after his name is mysteriously pulled from the Goblet of Fire to partake in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, and boooooooy does he have a hard time in that game.
4. The Doves are a gang of assassins… What book would you kill to have in your hands right now?
Probably the sequel to The Beast Player… or The Hand, the Eye & the Heart by Zoë Marriott (it was announced last Friday; you can read about it here. It sounds amazing).
5. The City of Sin is full of people with dark & complicated pasts. Name one book or book series you used to like, but don’t anymore.
Hmm… this is really hard because I don’t think there are any that I absolutely despise now, but there are a couple that either went really badly at the end or that I now realise included a lot of offensive writing… The Raven Cycle falls under the first (why did you have to spoil it for us all Maggie?! They deserved better!!) & The House of Night books fall under the latter – it was my favourite series as a teenager but now that I’m older & more aware of marginalisation in books I can see that the writing was actually quite problematic.
6. With complicated pasts abound, we can find many… burnt cinnamon rolls, so to speak. Name a character that has a prickly and tough exterior, but is actually a sweetheart deep down!
Nathan from The Half Bad Trilogy by Sally Green.
7. Not only anti-heroes live in the Ace of Shades world! In New Reynes, one can find plenty of villians as well. Which bookish character do you just love to hate?
I think I have to agree with Dora here – Bellatrix Lestrange is my all-time favourite baddy.
8. You, much like our main character Enne’s mother, went missing in the City of Sin. The main character from the last book you read is the one looking for you… How screwed are you?
Hahahah, well! This depends on whether you want to include the books I read at work; because if you do, then Mickey Mouse is on his way to save me & I’m not really sure how that would work out… if we’re just talking about the books I read for me, then it’s Elin from The Beast Player & I think that could work out pretty well, if she brought her Beasts with her…
- Kristyn | TheBibliophileEmpress
- Kay | HammockOfBooks
- Angela | TheCatWithABook
- Cora | TeaPartyPrincess
- Tracy | ThePagesInBetween
Please make sure you tag me in your posts so I can see your answers! And if I’ve not tagged you, but you want to do the post please tag me as well!